Pesce Law Group, P.C.


Naperville | Oak Brook | Burr Ridge | Lake Forest | St. Charles

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in child support

Naperville family attorneyTypically, child support is paid by the obligor parent until the child reaches 18 years old and graduates high school. If the child attends college, child support may continue during his or her undergraduate education. It is usually assumed that once a child reaches adulthood, he or she will move out of his or her parent’s home and become financially self-supporting. However, a child with disabilities may not be able to reach this level of independence at any age. If you have a child with a mental or physical disability, you may be entitled to receive child support payments even after he or she is no longer a minor.  

Defining Disability For the Purposes of Non-Minor Child Support

The costs of raising a child – especially a child with special needs – can be overwhelming. If your child suffers from a medical condition that reduces his or her independence, you may worry about how you will cover these costs without assistance from your child’s other parent. Fortunately, Illinois courts may continue a child support order past the typical termination date if the child has a disability. Illinois defines a disability as a mental, psychological, or physical impairment that considerably limits a child’s ability to make sound decisions and care for himself or herself. Developmental disorders like autism spectrum disorder as well as physical handicaps may qualify a child for continuing support.  To receive non-minor child support, the disability must have been diagnosed while the child was eligible for traditional child support.

Petitioning the Court for Continued Child Support

In order to ensure that you will continue receiving child support once your child turns 18 and/or graduates high school, you will need to file a petition for non-minor support with the court. When deciding whether or not to grant your request, the court will consider:


Naperville child support attorneysIf you are going through a divorce, the court will usually factor health care costs into the child support order they issue. This could significantly alter the amount of regular child support payments depending on what your and your spouse’s insurance offers. The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (750 ILCS 5) outlines exactly how a court will calculate a child support order, so it is important to learn more about how this legislation could affect your divorce order by discussing your case with a divorce attorney. 

Child Support and Providing for Health Care Costs in Illinois

Basic child support requirements already should include ordinary out-of-pocket medical expenses. Also, the court may decide to require one or both spouses to ensure that their health insurance coverage covers their child, that they purchase health/dental/or vision policies to cover their child, or that they use alternative solutions to cover their child’s present and future medical needs. While child support orders typically require one spouse to make regular payments to help the other spouse provide for their child, the court may also encourage one or both spouses to pitch in to meet any medical expenses that are not covered by insurance, like office or pharmacy copays.

In some cases, the divorcing spouses may not have the financial resources and opportunities to provide private health care coverage for their child. If this is the case, a court may require that one or both parents purchase insurance coverage as soon as the cost is reasonable given the spouses’ circumstances, or the court can order the ex-spouses to file for public health care coverage for their child and split any remaining costs. 


DuPage County family law attorneysFor many individuals, it takes a divorce to highlight just how financially dependent a person may be on his or her spouse. This, of course, may be all the more true if you are also trying to raise children. It is for exactly such reasons that the divorce laws in Illinois include provisions for spousal maintenance and child support. These orders are issued, when appropriate, by the court to distribute the financial burden more equitably between you and your ex-spouse. But, what would happen if your ex-spouse was no longer around to provide support for you or your children? Would you be able to get by? If the answer is no, you may want to speak with family law attorney about including life insurance requirements in your divorce agreement.

Why Life Insurance?

A life insurance policy is designed to pay financial benefits to the named beneficiaries of a insured individual upon the insured person’s death. These funds are often used to cover funeral costs, pay down debts, or to simply maintain a similar lifestyle. Married individuals will commonly name their spouse as the primary beneficiary to help provide a level of security in the event of their death.

Reliance on Your Ex-Spouse

It may not be easy to admit, but if you are seeking spousal maintenance or child support, you are still financially dependent, to at least a certain extent, on your former partner. Your reliance may not be as strong as it once was during your marriage, but you likely count on his or her help to provide for your most basic needs and those of your children. If he or she were to die suddenly, you could face tremendous difficulty as a result of the support payment ending.

Back to Top