Pesce Law Group, P.C.


Naperville | Oak Brook | Burr Ridge | Lake Forest | St. Charles

Joint-Custody Disputes of How to Raise a Transgender Child

 Posted on April 20, 2022 in Child Custody

dupage county divorce lawyerThe burgeoning emergence of divorced co-parents with legal disputes about rearing transgender and gender non-conforming youths is controversial and polarizing.  When negotiations fail, child custody attorneys can help prove the "best interest of the child" standard. Post-decree modifications can award the legal decision-making authority to one parent.  Skilled family law attorneys understand the profound ethical issues involved with transgender children and teens. Transgender youths and their families are sometimes plagued with emotional trauma, and a good family law lawyer will be able to navigate the complexities of these special custody cases.  

Avenues that Family Lawyers May Use to Resolve Disagreements About Child-Related Issues

Mediation – Led by a mediator, who is a neutral third-party negotiator, mediation sometimes resolves custody conflicts.  Mediation is more cost-effective than the court process of litigation. A good mediator will also be a lawyer who can practice in your county.

Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) – An advocate for the child or teen, a GAL investigates the conflict and provides the judge with recommendations.  Although a judge usually appoints a GAL, clients can request one.  A GAL can be called as a witness and cross-examined.  GALs retain tremendous influence on the judge’s final decision.

Child Custody Evaluation – A judge will nominate roughly three psychiatrists or psychologists to conduct the evaluation.  Choose one who is sympathetic to your situation because evaluators hold influence on the judge’s ruling. The evaluator will interview the child or teen, the parents separately, as well as teachers, doctors, and any other witnesses. The evaluator will also administer psychological tests and assess all legal and medical documents.  The evaluator will also provide the judge with recommendations.

If the court finds that one parent is not advocating for the child's best interest, the family law judge can restrict parenting time and legal decision-making.

Contact a DuPage County, Illinois, Family and Divorce Lawyer

Do you need a modification in your joint custody decree?  At Pesce Law Group P.C., we are skilled in family law and provide our clients with thoughtful resolutions. We are supportive of ensuring the health of your child(ren).  Staffed with a court-approved Guardian Ad Litem (GAL), we are prepared to tackle the delicate issues surrounding children of custody disputes. For a free consultation, contact an Oak Brook family lawyer at 630-230-8985.


Share this post:
Back to Top