Pesce Law Group, P.C.


Naperville | Oak Brook | Burr Ridge | Lake Forest | St. Charles

Naperville divorce finances lawyerDivorce is often a complex process that requires a team of professionals to help spouses plan carefully for issues like child custody arrangements and marital property division. Attorneys, friends and family, therapists, and more can all help a family transition from married life to separate households. One of the most useful professionals that couples often use in divorce is a financial advisor. There are different kinds of financial advisors and the one(s) you want will depend on your unique circumstances - high net worth families may require a team of financial advisers while other families may only want an accountant who specializes in the implications of divorce on a couple’s taxes. Here are some ways that a financial advisor could benefit you in your Illinois divorce. 

Splitting Marital Property 

Dividing marital assets can be a complicated and difficult process. Assets like real estate, pension plans and retirement accounts, and valuable collectibles can all affect a spouse’s financial position during the divorce and well into the future. A financial advisor can help spouses understand the advantages and disadvantages of different asset division proposals and consider whether they fit into their long-term financial plans. 

Financial Planning 

Spouses often share financial planners who discuss their retirement goals and help them anticipate how much money they need to set aside every year to reach their aims. Financial planners can also help couples understand how to allocate investments according to their goals and risk tolerance. For divorcing couples, financial planners do the same thing, but for each spouse individually. Because divorce can change your long-term plans, asset ownership, and retirement outlook, having a financial planner can be highly beneficial. 


DuPage County child custody lawyersIn Illinois, parents who divorce are asked to create a parenting plan. The plan identifies the parent who has the majority of parental responsibility (formerly called custody), describes how major decisions about the child will be made, provides a schedule for sharing parenting time, and more. If the parents are unable to reach an agreement about the terms of the parenting plan through negotiation or mediation, the court may need to decide on a parenting plan on behalf of the parents. However the parenting plan is put in place, it is an official court order that parents are expected to obey completely. If your child’s other parent is not following the directions contained in the parenting plan, he or she could face serious consequences.

When a Parent Intentionally Ignores a Parenting Plan

If your child’s other parent is occasionally late picking up or dropping of your child or makes other minor mistakes with regard to shared parenting, this is not grounds for court action. However, if the parent is purposefully refusing to follow the terms of your parenting plan, it may be time to do something about it. Notify the court of the other parent’s actions and contact an experienced family law attorney. In some cases, a parent who intentionally disobeys a parenting plan can be held in contempt of court and face certain civil consequences. If your child’s other parent is incapable of following the terms of the parenting plan, you may wish to petition the court for a modified parenting plan. Illinois courts will always make child custody and parenting time decisions based on what is in the child’s best interests.  

Parental Abduction and Kidnapping

In extreme cases, a parent’s actions may be considered parental abduction. If you have legal custody of your child and the other parent takes your child away from you and keeps him or her, the other parent may be committing parental abduction. He or she could lose parenting time privileges and face criminal consequences. Parental kidnapping occurs when a parent knowingly confines the child against his or her will through the use of force, threat of force, deceit, or enticement. This is a felony offense punishable by up to seven years in prison. If you believe your child’s other parent has committed parental abduction or kidnapping or otherwise represents a risk to your child, contact the court immediately. Then, reach out to a family law attorney experienced in handling volatile child custody disputes.


Naperville Divorce Lawyer

In creating a divorce agreement, all parental decisions are based upon the parenting plan established through negotiation, mediation, or by a judge. A parenting plan is a document which determines the specifics of parental responsibility. Regardless of its origination, once a divorce decree is approved, its provisions become legally enforceable. 

This legal document protects your parenting rights in the present and in the future, should your ex-spouse choose not to cooperate at any point. Additionally, the plan establishes distinct guidelines to prevent disputes. When in doubt, you are always able to refer to the plan.


Naperville family law attorneyGetting married, at least in Illinois, requires more than simply a wish to be together. It requires compliance with all the relevant laws, which includes being of legal age and having no impediment that might prevent a valid marriage from going forward. It does happen, though, that many are unaware of some part of the law or are not aware that some characteristic of the bride or groom actually prevents the marriage from being solemnized. Marriages can either be declared void from the beginning, or they can be voided by a court due to alleged wrongdoing.

Void Marriages

In order to marry, a couple must be able to provide proof that they (1) are either of legal age or have their parents’ consent to marry; and (2) know of no legal impediment to the marriage, such as the bride and groom being related within forbidden degrees. A void marriage occurs when one or both of these conditions are not fulfilled Examples might include one spouse being married already to another or the spouses turning out to be cousins. It is also possible to have a marriage declared void (rather than voidable) if one of the spouses is a minor who does not have their parents’ consent to wed.

Back to Top