Pesce Law Group, P.C.


Naperville | Oak Brook | Burr Ridge | Lake Forest | St. Charles

Can I Modify My Parenting Plan in Illinois?

 Posted on March 04, 2024 in Child Custody

IL family lawyerWhen parents in Illinois get a divorce, they end their divorce proceedings with a legal document, called a parenting plan, that sets out both spouses’ parental rights and responsibilities. Essentially, it is an outline of how they will continue to care for their children once they are no longer married. Of course, the plan that parents formulate is based on their respective circumstances at the time of the divorce.

One parent might have a more flexible work schedule and will be more available for dropping off and picking up the children at school and extracurricular activities, handling more of their medical care, and taking care of the many other things that parents need to take care of for their children, and that parent might be granted more time with the child as a result. One parent might have an addiction and not be considered safe for the child to be around and will be granted minimal to no custody. However, like all other aspects of life, the parents’ circumstances can change. If you find that your parenting plan no longer suits you, speak with a reliable Naperville, IL child custody attorney to examine how you might be able to amend it.

How Can I Make Changes to My Parenting Plan?

Maybe your circumstances have changed in some way making you more available to your child or enabling you to be a more stable figure in their life. Maybe your ex, with whom you share custody, needs to relocate for work and will no longer be able to carry out the terms of your original plan. Maybe your ex had a drug problem at the time of your divorce but has gotten help and no longer has that problem. You might both want to amend your parenting plan to allow your child time with each of you. Perhaps your child’s needs have changed in some way that would require modifications to the parenting plan. Whatever the reason may be, the process to request a change is the same.

You will need to have your original parenting plan with you. You can then fill out a parental responsibility modification form, which you will need to file with the court. You will need to inform your ex about this and let them know the date on which you will both need to appear in court for a hearing, and then you will need to prepare a new order of allocation of parental responsibilities.

Schedule a Free Consultation with a DuPage County, IL Divorce Lawyer

If you think there is a good reason to modify your current parenting plan, a knowledgeable Naperville, IL child custody attorney can review your case and advocate for the changes you seek. At Pesce Law Group, P.C., we offer free consultations, so please call 630-352-2240, and we can get started.

Share this post:
Back to Top